Oldalak

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cranberry Panna Cotta

I have been thinking about panna cotta for a while, especially after I tried it in Vapiano. When I saw cranberries in the store, I was destined to try to make them. As it will be a first for me, I tried to make it to be special, so I decided I do a multi-layer panna cotta.  




INGREDIENTS (4 * 2 dl cups)

230 g cranberries
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon zest of lemon
1,5 dl water
0,5 l heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 packet of gelatin powder (enough for half liter liquid)
5 dkg sugar

PANNA COTTA

All you should know about panna cotta is that its ingredients are heavy cream, gelatine and sugar. The flavour depends on you. As I wanted to make it vanilla flavoured and not too sweet, I put less sugar and extra vanilla. I was sure that the sweetness of my cranberry sauce will compensate it.

Pour the heavy cream (except 2 tablespoons) in a sauce pan. Add the sugar and the vanilla extract to the heavy cream and boil it up on medium heat. Stir REGULARLY.

When it boiled up, I take it off. Mix the 2 table spoon heavy cream with the gelatine powder and add it to the boiled heavy cream. Stir it well to ensure that the gelatine is melted completely. Wait for 5-10 minutes and pour the first layer of panna cotta into the cups and put the cups in the fridge. Put the remaining aside. As you do not want any thin layer to appear on the surface, so stir it time to time.

CRANBERRY SAUCE

All you should know about fruit sauces is that their ingredients are fruits, sugar and any type of liquid. The consistency and the sweetness depend on you.

Wash the cranberries and sort out the bad ones. Add water, sugar, zest of lemon and cinnamon to it and boil it up on medium heat. Stir it regularly. When the cranberries start to crack, turn it to low heat and cover it.

When the cranberries are cooked, pour it in a food processor or use a mixer to mix it up. Put back for 5 more minutes and the sauce is ready.

When the first layer of panna cotta is solid, and the sauce cooled down a little bit, pour the first layer of sauce on the panna cotta and put back in the fridge. If the sauce is solid, pour the second layer of panna cotta and back to the fridge again. If the second layer is solid, pour the last layer of sauce and back to the fridge. If the sauce gets solid, the panna cotta is ready to eat. Enjoy!

NOTES 1: I did not have a deep freezer, so cooling down the layers took a lot of time. It was almost 3 hours to make this multi-layer panna cotta. If you don’t want multi-layers, the panna cotta can be ready relatively quickly.

NOTES 2: The cranberry sauce was way too much. After finishing the panna cotta, I could still fill a 200 g jam bottle with the remaining sauce. Although I didn’t mind as I got nice cranberry jam for tomorrow morning. If you do not want any extra jam, half of the ingredients would be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment