Oldalak

Sunday, October 2, 2011

How to Make Marzipan Orchids?

This is my first cake that I baked and covered with marzipan completely on my own

The occasion was the graduation of my niece. :)))

I thank the recipe for Mariann, who originally made this fantastic blueberry mascarpone cheese cake. And thank also to the 2-day course at www.desszertmester.hu, where I learned how to cover a cake with marzipan.

Here are some tips that I should have paid attention to
  • You should also cover the side of the cake with creme cause otherwise the brown chocolate cake is visible :)
  • I have to think of another technique for drying the marzipan figures as the cardboard from the paper towel was not the "best". The orchids were injured during transportation. :(((
  • Finally, you should not bring your cake to the restaurant early, if they don't have enough space in the fridge, and the cake gets sweaty for the big moment. 

HOW TO MAKE MARZIPAN ORCHIDS?

I found tons of videos and descriptions on the internet, but most of them were too artistic for me. My plans were completely different. I wanted to make schematic orchids with lively colours. So at one point I realized I have to make my own pattern.  

Step 1: Coloring of the marzipan
I used Wilton's pink coloring gel for that. I used a toothpick to grab some coloring gel and knead it in the marzipan. I repeated this step until I reached the desirable color.  

Step 2: Rolling the marzipan out
The marzipan has to be rolled out to 2-3 mm. It should not be too thin as the orchids will not keep its form. It should also not be too thick as it will be hard to shape the orchids. 

Step 3: Cutting out the different parts
I cut out the parts of the orchids with a knife following the below DIY-pattern:

Step 4: Detailed modelling
I used a marzipan modelling picks and sponge. To make the veins of the orchid leaves I used the modelling pick on the left, to thin the edges I used the modelling pick on the right. I did all the modelling on the sponge. 


Step 5: Composition of the orchid
The last step is to put together the pieces, and dry the orchids. I put some water with a brush on the joint to ensure that the parts really stuck together. You have to be careful with the water, because if it gets anywhere else other than the joint, it remains shiny that cannot be corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment