Oldalak

Saturday, October 8, 2011

French Apple Tart after Jane Price

Decorating is also important here, although I didn’t work with either marzipan or icing.

Baking this tart was very easy, although you have certain steps you cannot do parallel that makes it slower to make. 

I call it "French apple tart after Jane Price" as I adapted it from a recipe in her book of The Essential Dessert Cookbook.

Tart (25 cm / 9-inch tart)

18,5 dkg all-purpose flour
10 dkg cold, not salted butter in cubes
3 tablespoon cold water

First I used my hands to work the butter and the flour together. I made a whole in the middle and poured the cold water in it. I knead until it came together in one large, smooth ball. I put a baking paper / silicone mat under as it could easily stick to a wooden surface. 
After I get the smooth ball, I packed it up in a foil and put it into the fridge for at least 15 minutes. 

After that I rolled out and put it in the tart form. I cut down the surplus along the edge. I covered it up with a foil and put it in the fridge again for another at least 15 minutes. 

I pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees (370 Fahrenheit). 

I took out the tart from the fridge and stung it a little bit with a fork. I cut out a little bit less than 9-inch diameter round shape from a baking paper and put it in the middle of the tart. Then I put some beans / cooking pearls on it and put it in the pre-heated oven (middle level). 

After 10 minutes I took out the beans and the baking paper and bake it for another 15 minutes. The tart is ready if it is only slightly brownish. It has to be cooled down before filling.

Preparation of the apples

I peeled 2 apples. Cut them in quarters, then took out the seeds. I cut the quarters into thin slices and “decorated” i.e. filled the tart with them. I sprinkled them with 2-3 tablespoon sugar (and 2-3 teaspoon cinnamon – optional).


I pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees (370 Fahrenheit) and bake the tart with the apples for 15 minutes.

Cream / custard

2 eggs
2 dl heavy cream
1 packet of Bourbon vanilla / 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon apple brandy / firewater / eau de vie / pálinka (whichever name you recognise :))) )

I mixed all ingredients together and poured it on the top of the apples. Back to the oven for an additional 30 minutes. The apple tart is ready if the cream is firm and light brown. 


* * *


It is not a super sweet tart as it has only 2 tablespoon sugar in it, but the apple and the vanilla makes it super delicious. It took a half day for me and my husband to finish it. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment