Oldalak

Monday, March 12, 2012

Créme Patisserie

The story of today's recipe goes back to 4 September 2011, the day when I arrived in Luxembourg. My husband has already been in Luxembourg for 2 weeks discovering the city and its shops (mainly supermarkets). When I arrived, he surprised me with Strawberry Tartelettes. Despite that he is not really a sweet-tooth, he was surprisingly enthusiastic about these tartelettes. Of course, now I know. These amazingly simple and still overly delicious pastry is the best I ate here. And we already tried a couple of sorts, you can imagine. :)))

As we bought the tartelettes in Auchan it had an ingredients list saying it has créme patisserie. Since 4 September 2011 I would like to try to make créme patisserie, but there are a lot of recipes on the internet. At the end I thought that I had to start somewhere right? Finally I decided on this recipe from Joy of Baking. I halved the recipe for my 18 cm (7 inches) tart, but for 26 cm (10 inches) tart you need the full recipe.


CRÉME PATISSERIE

150 ml milk
25 g sugar
2 small egg yolks
10 g flour
10 g cornstarch
1/2 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 ml heavy cream
1 packet Bourbon vanilla sugar

This video shows all the steps. It is very clear and easy to follow. I think I got everything right.

However, as it usually the case, things got complicated when I deviate from the recipe. The thing is the créme patisseria turned out to be yellow, but the tartelettes we bought had a white cream. So I thought I add some whipped cream and it will be the same. No it have not. :)))

If you do not add any whipped cream, then you got a thick custard. If you add, it might turn into a cream, which will flow out from the tart if you cut it.

I am not complainting as I got an extremely delicious cream, but it was not the same as in the tartelettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment