Tuesday, March 6, 2012
TWD 3 - Rugelach
Rugelach is by the way a Jewish pastry in a form of a roll or crescent filled with nuts and dried fruits. My versions were a bit different. I made two kinds of rugelach.
1) Plum lekvar (jam) with crushed walnut
2) Strawberry-rhubarb jam with dried cranberries and ground almond
I have never tasted Rugelach before. It was like a blind date. You do not know what to expect, so you expect the worse. Mainly, saying I am not going to like it.
1) I tried to roll the dough out on a floured, but wooden surface with a wooden rolling pin. NO GO.
2) I tried my silicone mat still floured. Again NO GO. It stuck everywhere.
3) Final desperate solution that - in fact - worked at the end was to flour two thin plastic wraps (clingfilm maybe - I am not sure of the word - example here) and roll the dough between them. In this way neither the silicone mat nor my wooden rolling pit could reach the sticky dough.
We loved both, but if you can keep a secret I'll tell you that my favorite was the plum lekvar-walnut rugelach.
If you want to try baking them, you will find the recipe at Margaret - The Urban Hiker or at Jessica - My Baking Heart.