Oldalak

Monday, May 21, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble

I have been thinking about crumbles with strawberry and rhubarb a while now. Of course, in the middle of the strawberry season, I see strawberries everywhere. No need for a lot of time to get inspired. :)))

To be honest, I am, naturally, not the first person, who ever thought about making something with strawberries and rhubarb. I haven't even heard of rhubarb before moving into Luxembourg. OK, that is not entirely true, 'cause I remember that my mother-in-law made a rhubarb cake a year ago or so and the whole family went very skeptical. We were not ready for the rhubarb. But I am now. :)))

I found rhubarb crumble in a French cookbook (I cannot see the name of the author on the book. It only says 288 recipe for EUR 3 :))) I may have upgraded it a bit. :)))))

INGREDIENTS

200 g rhubarb (peeled, cut into 0.5 inch thick pieces)
400 g strawberry (washed and cut into pieces)
3 tablespoon sugar
1 large pinch of ground cinnamon (approx. half coffee spoon)
1 large pinch of ground ginger
1 large pinch of ground nutmeg
2 cloves
100 g all-purpose flour
50 g amaretto biscuit (smashed)
80 g butter (cold)
1 packet of vanilla sugar (optional)

The first step is to rest the rhubarb with the sugar and the spices for around 1.5 hours. Then take a pan and cook the rhubarb at a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Pay attention not to overcook the rhubarb as it will cook further in the oven. The rhubarb should be soft, but has not fallen into pieces.

Take a food processor and blend the flour, the amaretto biscuit and the butter together.

Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 degrees). Take a pan. First add the rhubarb, then the strawberry right before the crumbs. Bake it until approx. 40 minutes. Optionally you can sprinkle it with vanilla sugar before baking. Ready, eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment