Oldalak

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Panattone with Zabaglione

Finally, I managed to try panattone, as I found a nice, small (100g) packet in the supermarket. Compared to a 1 kg packet, I saw all the time.

As I heard from my Milanese colleague, pandoro is the traditional Christmas pastry for Verona, but panattone is from Milan.


Panattone is – for me – the combination of Bundt cake and spice-cake as if they put as much raisins as in a spice-cake into a Bundt cake. :))) I do not really like raisins, so if I have to choose between the two, I definitely choose pandoro. It seems like others as well, as pandoro is the 2nd most popular post. Sorry Milan! Viva Verona!

In the second round, the custards were up. I heard that they eat panattone usually with zabaglione, which is a special, wine custard. Its specialty comes from a sweet, dessert wine from the Marsala region in Sicily. What does a Sicilian wine do in a Milanese traditional Christmas pastry? I will ask my colleague on Monday [Update on 27 December 2011: “I have no idea, but we eat panattone by grilling it a little bit over flames and sprinkle it with some cognac.”]

Note: Marsala wine is very sweet and dark-coloured. Some of the recipes say that you can use other sweet white wine, but then you should increase the amount of sugar. I think it is perfect with Marsala, as you have this concentrated raising taste. So that is why it is so good with panattone, both has a raisin taste. :))))

ZABAGLIONE

Making a zabaglione is very easy and fast. I watched this 1 min 40 sec video, where an Italian chef (maybe even from Milan?!:)))) prepares it. During 1 minutes 40 seconds he even has time to separately introduce all ingredients and appliances :)))

INGREDIENTS

3 egg yolks
3 tablespoon sugar
½ eggshell of Marsala wine


Above boiling water whisk the egg yolks, the sugar and the wine continuously until it doubles its size. This will take max. 10 minutes. Ready to serve.

I cannot introduce to you the winner, because I liked both custards. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment